The Strand Culvert Replacement
Whakatane District Council
Scope of Works
This contract showcases Waiotahi’s capability of supplying and installing large capacity box culverts successfully below groundwater levels. The project was carried out in a marine environment where subgrade materials had little strength and required undercutting and replacement with imported materials.
A significant aspect of this contract was the temporary shoring and diversion channel constructed using Waiotahi’s expansive inventory of sheetpiling and sheetpiling driving equipment to provide a cofferdam for the culvert installation.
Description of Works
Removal of three existing 900mm diameter culvert pipes and replacing with a new 4m wide, 2m high box culvert:
- Foundation preparation.
- Box culvert installation.
- Backfilling and compaction.
- Pavement construction.
- Road surfacing.
- Road marking and associated traffic services.
- Contract Value: $359,347.06
- Location: The Strand, Whakatane
- Duration: 4 July 2015 – 10 September 2015
- Completed on time and within budget