Building a Proud Legacy
From humble beginnings draining Opotiki’s boggy farmlands with one dragline in 1957, Waiotahi has grown to become the trusted name in Civil Engineering, Quarrying and Trucking. Our 150-strong team continues to build upon our legacy every day, by delivering with quality and innovation every time.
This is their passion. This is their calling.
They stand out from the crowd, because they build proud.
They love their region. They love their work. They love being a valuable member of a winning team.
That’s why they work for a company with a proud track record spanning nearly 60 years.
They believe in getting it right first time. And they always do. Because everything they do is BUILT PROUD.
1957 Company Started
Waiotahi Dragline Company Ltd founded by the Bennett brothers in 1957 to operate a Smith Dragline in the Opotiki area.
1968 – 1970
Purchased one of the first Priestman Beaver hydraulic excavators in 1968.
Developed the largest fleet of hydraulic excavators in the country.
Renamed Waiotahi Contractors Ltd.
Purchased Evan Evans business in Tauranga.
Purchased Bay Bulldozing in Whakatane.
Acquired metal pit at Taneatua.
Began offering trucking services.
Gained ISO 9002 certification.
2000 – 2010
$5M spent on the Waiotahi Drifts Subdivision.
Blue Rock Quarry expanded.
Heavily involved in the Edgecumbe Floods.
Undertook major site works for the new Mighty River Power Geothermal Power Station at Kawerau.
2010 – Present
Began work on the Ormat Plant in Kawerau.
Started the development of Ratahi Quarry.
Purchased W H Kelly.